[Ambassadors] Congratulations

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 18:21:13 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 8:15 AM, Paul W. Frields<stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
> Red Hat has announced its 2009 RHCE of the Year winners, and if you
> look here, you'll see a very recognizable name:
>
> http://bit.ly/g6Zto
>
> Congratulations to all the winners, including our very own John Rose,
> whose participation in Fedora is highlightedin the announcement.
> John, thanks to all you continue to do for Fedora, and it's wonderful
> to see your many achievements recognized with this award.  I look
> forward to seeing you in Chicago in a few weeks!

I'd like to thank Red Hat for making this an especially memorable Red
Hat Summit for me and all those who have sent me messages in this
thread and elsewhere. Some of those personal messages mean more to me
than I can express.

My submission tried to emphasize involvement in three intertwining
communities: the Red Hat customer community, the #rhel community
support channel on freenode, and the Fedora Project. And while
singling people out to thank is problematic, I really feel I need to
thank a few people who were instrumental in helping me find my way.

Máirín Duffy in one way or another had a hand in my participating in
all three communities. When someone's devotion to a community makes
you wonder why she cares so much that you go to investigate the
community yourself, well, you have an ace recruiter.

merlinthp and delhage put up with my initial grumpiness long enough in
#rhel to allow me time to find a place to fit in. If you want to learn
how to run a public IRC channel that fosters a friendly and productive
community go watch how Howard and Lars do it.

A bit more than one year ago I blundered into being part of the
rebirth of the Fedora Ambassador program in North America. gregdek
made a commitment to empower ambassadors to take control of their own
activities and this fundamental change in ownership resulted in the
creation of FAmNA. It has been a joy to make a small contribution to
the work of Clint, David, Brian, Pascal, and the rest of the FAmNA
community over the subsequent months.

John