Slogan use

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 14:27:35 UTC 2009

Our release slogan typically has been a fun community contribution
that ends up on the website at the main fedoraproject.org page.  The
slogan is supposed to function as a call to action but it draws its
theme from the release-specific artwork.  For F10 (Cambridge), which
featured the blazing Solar artwork, the slogan was "Fire it up."  For
F11 (Leonidas), the slogan was "Reign" (which is inteded to allude to
the lion).

Although sometimes it's difficult to translate, we typically give the
translators a lot of latitude to recreate the slogan in a way that
makes sense in their culture and language.

Over the past couple releases, I've had a number of people contact me
privately or pop up on IRC and mailing lists asking about the slogan.
One of the most consistent questions is, does it reflect what we want
our front page to say about the Fedora Project in general?

In a way, it does, because we do believe the slogan is reflective of
the forward-looking, leading-edge distribution we produce.  But should
a release-specific slogan change our project front page every six
months?  I'm not so sure.

I'm wondering whether we should think about placing the slogan
prominently on the get-fedora page (get.fedoraproject.org) and having
something more general on the front page itself, in the space
currently occupied by the filler "Free your computer" in the mockups.
Any thoughts on this?