Fedora Insight: FWN experimentation

Pascal Calarco pcalarco at nd.edu
Tue Sep 29 13:53:31 UTC 2009

After resolving an issue with Zikula on publictest6 kindly resolved by
Simon, I've been putting some of the content into the test instance of
Zikula for Fedora Insight, and have a few comments.

1) Stories need to be marked up in HTML to get the same linkback
functionality we currently have with the wiki version, so one decision
point is whether we do this markup within Zikula or if we have writers
externalize this and use an HTML editor of their choice and then paste
in the news story in FI, or whether we want to try to integrate a
WYSIWYG editor into Zikula.  There are pros and cons to both, but I
might suggest external editors, for the reason below.

2) The timeout value on Zikula is too short.  In trying to enter the
news story for FWN 195 announcements, after finishing the news item my
session timed out and all my work was lost.  It would be easier to edit
this locally and then just create the news story when I am done.

3) We need to decision what level to create news items at.  If there is
a desire to continue FWN as a identifiable entity, there would be value
in presenting news stories at the beat[1] level, and marked and tagged
as such.  People could subscribe to FWN content by subscribing to
anything tagged as FWN, and using the categories, people could do the
same as well

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/Beats

4) I was not able to create child categories from the FWN category,
which would be useful if people want to subscribe at the beat level, say
if they only care about Marketing, for example.  How do I do this?

5) It is possible to retain the editorial workflow within FI, since
content creators can submit their news items for review before they are
published.  This isn't the default right now though, so I might suggest
having Zikula set up so that it doesn't publish the item right away, at
least from an FWN perspective.

Okay, that's enough to get discussion started.  Comments most welcome!

I plan to attend FUDCon Toronto in December and hopefully we can spend
some quality time hacking on this on the Sunday and Monday.

   - pascal

Fedora Ambassador, Indiana USA
Fedora Weekly News editorial team