Letter concerning photographs

Robyn Bergeron robyn.bergeron at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 02:28:33 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 6:57 AM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
> Marketing team -- here's the letter we could send to students and
> ambassadors for help with the one-page release notes.  Please review
> and comment.  If we need to make a lot of edits, no problem -- I'll
> move this to the wiki and we can work on it there.
>
> Paul
>
> * * *
>
> Hello,
>
> The Fedora Marketing team is once again working on a "One-Page Release
> Notes" to promote the next Fedora release, Fedora 13 "Goddard."  We
> produced a version of this document for the Fedora 12 release for
> which feedback was positive.
>
> It's an attractive document that shows off the fun and excitement of
> being involved in the Fedora community, and it also highlights some of
> the changes in the release.  The Fedora 12 version can be found here
> on the wiki, and several translations and alternate formats are also
> linked there:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_12_one_page_release_notes
>
> We would like to refresh the content with brand-new photographs from
> our communities around the world.  Here is our plan:
>
> * The Marketing and Docs teams will create some placeholder content on
>  the new page for Fedora 13, found here:
>
>  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_13_one_page_release_notes
>
> * The placeholders will include narrative and links for important
>  features from the Fedora 13 talking points and elsewhere in the
>  Fedora 13 release notes that can be easily illustrated by
>  photographs and screenshots.
>
> * All photographs *must* be licensed either Creative Commons
>  Attribution, or Attribution-ShareAlike (CC-BY or CC-BY-SA).  We
>  cannot use photographs without proper licensing, or with CC
>  NonCommercial or NoDerivatives (NC, ND) type licensing.

Do we have any rules regarding things like needing consent from the
photograph subject (if it is a person), regardless of license type?
Particularly if they are pictures of minors? (Think students in a
classroom, etc.)

Other than that - this looks dandy to me.  Just want to avoid wading
in those murky legal waters if we can. :)  I'm not sure how CC
licensing handles these types of things offhand.

-Robyn