Letter concerning photographs

Robyn Bergeron robyn.bergeron at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 16:32:29 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 5:35 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 08, 2010 at 05:14:35PM +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
>> On 04/08/2010 03:55 PM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
>> >
>> > I'm not sure about this, but the Picture Book was going to be offered
>> > for sale, which might have changed the landscape of needing a release.
>> > Our purpose here is obviously not commercial sale, and perhaps the
>> > combination of that factor with having only our community members in
>>
>> Commercial/not commercial don't make a difference, the content is going
>> to the wiki so it will be licensed as CC-BY-SA and that means allowing
>> commercial reuse.
>>
>> > photographs avoids the problem.  On top of that, we could ask that the
>> > photographs be taken in a public place which might further dilute the
>> > need for a release.
>>
>> s/public place/public event/g
>>
>> I have a lot of good faith in our contributors, I think any of them will
>> be glad to have his photo in the release notes.
>
> Yes.  In the end, the release is there to protect the photographer
> from risk, when they put the photograph to use in a product or
> publication.  Because our subjects are all friends of ours, the
> licensing of the photos is clear, and there is no sale involved, the
> risk is extremely low.  And if anyone wants their photo removed at any
> time, of course we would comply immediately.
>
> As long as the people in the pictures are not minors, and have signed
> the CLA, we should not need to worry about releases.

Would it be useful to have [[Fedora_photos_guidelines]] or something
to that effect on the wiki? It seems like something we might refer to
often, or is a question that comes up often.

Covering basically:

* What is the best license for my photos so they can be used by the
Fedora Project
* If pictures are used for publication - or if I have a publication
that needs pictures - how do I go about getting a release form, where
does it get stored, etc.
* Guidelines for who are recommended subjects (friends), no minors, etc

Thoughts?

-Robyn

PS This may already exist... I just didn't see it, although
admittedly, I didn't look very hard :)