Fedora and Video Sharing

Jan Wildeboer jwildebo at redhat.com
Sat Apr 10 15:55:37 UTC 2010

Kaltura.com is a good alternative. The rule *should* be to use open
standards whenever possible and convert content to non-free if needed.

The only thing I wanted to pint out is that if s/o wants to remix content,
he should be able to do it with open standards.

So to reiterate - I do *not* oppose usinge youtube, I *do* want to stress
however that "open first" should not be ignored.

So I propose:

- make content *always* available in open standards.
- use youtube etc for distribution when alternatives suck, but *always*
point the viewer to the open standard alternatives (in the description field
etc)

I hope you see that I am not a fundamentalist, I am pragmatic but I want to
make sure we do it right.

If we offer no oepn alternatives, THEN you will get the fundamentalist
discussion - and for a good reason IMHO.

Using your arguments in a little bit of exaggerated way would lead for
example to using Adobe Illustrator for artwork, Photoshop for other stuff
and would exclude those that don't have these tools ...

Jan