Fedora and Video Sharing

wonderer wonderer4711 at gmx.de
Sat Apr 10 18:58:14 UTC 2010

Hy there,

@Nick: You facing a problem that we talked some days ago also: How to
manage video distribution for the large crowd out there?! As you can
imagine we not only have ONE actual video of e.g. Fedora12 its more like
having also updated versions of F12, features on special programs, etc.
So, if you want to distribute them over the web for as many people as
you want you also have to promote them. Therefore it is wise to choose a
good platform, but not as important as to tell the people where to find
them (Blogposts, wiki, Websites, Links, articles, etc.).
Another thing would be if you want to distribute a video to as many
people as you want you must put it in as many platforms at the same
time. So you do not have to handle only one account you have to handle
many accounts (also you have to look the user restrictions of have
multiple users to one user account...)... It is not an easy job, I know.
I also think of the other way: YouTube is so big that our videos will
not be much recogniced. When a normal User came to youtube and search
for "fedora" (even if our statement is or should be "Fedoraproject")
there are also videos about "the hat" and sometimes for new people it
can be confusing. On Dailymotion The first hits was about some boxing.
Only at archive.org there where videos back to Fedora Core 4. But thats
only one of many thoughts we have to think over if to make a decision in
that way if we want.

@all
I think more important is the way the platform (if we are not have a
platform for such media as video, audio, photos of ourself) handles the
license we gave and youtube clearly violates so much user restrictions
and loss of freedom that youtube not would be my kind of choice. I would
more go for archive.org and miro. Also because its as far as I know
based on OpenSource and as said before we should use / maintain
Opensource and Opensource based plattforms / standards as much as we
can. And we definitely can ! :-)

But I clearly would NOT propose Youtube as our first choice of
distributing videos.

mit freundlichen Grüßen / best regards
Henrik Heigl - wonderer at fedoraproject.org

PGP/GnuPG: 8237 D432 0616 D567 DBC6  3FE3 0D52 B374 F468 A5F0