Advertising "open core" software

Robert Scheck robert at fedoraproject.org
Wed Apr 14 21:53:45 UTC 2010

On Thu, 15 Apr 2010, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Believe it or not, we do spend a lot of time working on interoperability
> with Windows.  Think Samba for instance and  Red Hat's investment on
> openchange.

Well...the time for interoperability with Microsoft products is spent in
the end for Enterprise environments, not for the typical Fedora usecases.
Nobody in a real and huge Enterprise environment is using Fedora, they're
using RHEL. And they're using RHEL and not CentOS. Fedora is and will be a
playground and space for latest, newest, greatest in Open Source Software,
but nothing for real Enterprise in mission critical environments. Or with
other words: A testbed for RHEL.

Having this said, I'm pretty sure, that only less Fedora users care about
whether Zarafa in Fedora has support for Outlook or not, because most of
our Fedora users don't use Windows as their main operating system. Maybe
you should see the benefit of what Zarafa open sourced so far: There is a
full-featured Open Source MAPI implementation and library by Zarafa, while
OpenChange provides in comparision only a few less percent of the overall
functionalities and features - they're providing basics, but did you ever
try something more extended? It doesn't work or it crashes. OpenChange is
not usable in Enterprise so far, while Zarafa (even without the proprietary
features) is.

By the way, wasn't it you some time ago promoting the Omega Fedora Remix
containing closed source software via the Fedora mailing lists?

Greetings,
  Robert