Advertising "open core" software

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 12:48:29 UTC 2010

On 04/15/2010 06:02 PM, Nelson Marques wrote:
> Rahul,
>
> Thanks for the explanation, that really provided me more accurate
> information. I've readed before somewhere that Fedora went Gnote because
> Tomboy had connections to Mono. It was a comparative article with
> highlighted Fedora 12 vs OpenSuSE 11.2 I think. The Live CD wasn't
> mentioned.
>
> The idea I got from the article was that Gnote was highlighted because
> it was more inside the FOSS scope that Tomboy which relied on Mono.

Well the anti-Mono brigade hijacked the news about this change and
projected their own motivations to it and I have explained it to some
press reports about that and copied this list in fact.   My recent blog
post on this topic

http://mether.wordpress.com/2010/01/09/gnote-and-fedora/

I had to clarify notions about similar change that is happening with
F-Spot being replaced by Shotwell

http://lwn.net/Articles/383249/#Comments

> I've been flamed countless times for defending a pacific co-existence
> between proprietary and FOSS despite of all the fuss around. In my
> humble opinion, it's actually users choice. But if we face Fedora as a
> FOSS enabler (our main role?), shouldn't we excel in doing that?

We are not restricting user's choice in any way. but promoting
proprietary or even open core software or enabling them in Fedora is a
entirely different matter.

Rahul