Google Adwords - not sure if off-topic

wonderer wonderer4711 at gmx.de
Fri Apr 16 22:17:41 UTC 2010

Hy,

Am 16.04.2010 23:36, schrieb Nelson Marques:
>  Not sure if the same could apply to us, or even if we use adwords, in
> case we do and are not exploring it that way, I would suggest a test on
> it for some "relevant" statistical data.

In my opinion we must differentiate between Marketing and Advertisement.
Ad words, SEO, Affiliate programs, etc. are clearly Advertisement. Make
it work with our voice (one of our "old" foundations I sometimes miss!)
is more Marketing. I know that these areas sometimes mixes up, but we
have here IMHO clearly draw a line.
Also to have in mind that there is much difference between a profit
driven company and a community driven OpenSource project.

If or if not have budget for such adwords advertisement is another
question which we can put on the agenda between the F13 and F14 I think.

I think we haven't had utilized all the possibility's we have to make it
known better. Lets see what we do right now:
* We have events where Ambassadors, proud Users, Contributers of all
kind come together, talk about it, etc. like FUDCON, FAD, Installpartys,
LUG events, etc.
* We have articles in Internet gazettes, magazines, Blog entries, etc.
* We could (in my opinion) do much more in social networks
* we could do a little bit more in spreading the word

I also give to think of the way those adwords, adsense, etc. things
work. You always have competitors where you comparing with, so you have
some kind of enemy or opponent to compare to. So, I see the "friends"
Foundation in danger.
Also to use a very much criticized tool like google (privacy issues,
security of data, etc.) is a very risky and "aggresive" thing. In some
parts of the world these "Guerilla Marketing" methods are not so reputable.

Btw.: in the German version of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AdWords is
one more paragraph about "missusage" which is missing in the english
one. funny...

The thing behind the adwords is "only" to place advertisements on
partner sites. That we could do easily  on our own: just make some nice
Fedora-Banners and put them on the blogs (not only the Countdown
Banners, also some Fan-stuff), maybe we could have some more
representative pages at Redhat (and also a small banner here and there),
on other pages like Distrowatch, rpmfusion, XFCE, LXDE, all the
"partner" sites, etc.
Thats in my opinion the way we can use the idea in the more open way.
Also we can use our own Systems to monitor the progress - Fedora Insight
(Zikula). Pingbacks and all kind of statistics should be doable.

Also if we have soon a more RSS friendly news System like FI we can put
in the pages there, send them to the sites. If there will be changes the
sites itself have nothing to do (simply feeded by FI).

If I only take a look at Distrowatch for example we are on the second
base with "the old" F12. So we have a good reputation. I think we could
go from that very good base to a level more of asking "what do we want
to promote besides the next Release?"

Some idea: make some kind of feature from e.g. one spin like graphics
spin or security spin. Make some articles, videos, banners, etc. for it
and promote them (blog, social networks, magazines, etc.). Make that a
Longterm project (one article every 1-2 month, talks at events, etc.).

mit freundlichen Grüßen / best regards
Henrik Heigl - wonderer at fedoraproject.org

PGP/GnuPG: 8237 D432 0616 D567 DBC6  3FE3 0D52 B374 F468 A5F0