Google Adwords - not sure if off-topic

Nelson Marques 07721 at ipam.pt
Fri Apr 16 22:46:58 UTC 2010

Good post. I understand your concerns, but let me just express my
opinion about a couple of things:

* Considering Adword as Guerilla Marketing is kinda naive. Guerilla
Marketing is more about going to a Model Agency and hiring 20 attractive
models and send them to disco's with Fedora t-shirts and have them mix
up with the people and promote your product without a direct approach.
That would probably translate better Guerilla Marketing.

* As for partner sites. Whenever you search on Google, you have

* I was not trying to cutback or give lesser relevance to the work
currently being developed in other fields. And I do agree with you,
exploring social networks is a must. Like you, I would love to see more
work done in that field as well.

* About corporate and FOSS models, sure, the main difference is that in
marketing driven corporation (Unilever? P&G? et all) usually the
Marketing Department is the connection between the Administration and
every other single department, though it most times has priviledge
relations with Commercial Departments. Marketing isn't just sales. That
is a very naive approach of Marketing. Just for example, GNOME uses
adword, and it's the marketing team which handles it. There's loads of
info on their public marketing mailing lists. Maybe I should've dropped
this email there :(. And if I am not wrong, I believe they have a small
budget allocated for it, not sure though. This is even more strange
because Fedora is a channel of distribution for GNOME (from the GNOME
point of view of course), which at some point would lead me to believe
that we should be investing in that field, not them, but this is just a
personal thought.

* About Marketing itself:

"Marketing is the social process by which individuals and groups obtain
what they need and want through creating and exchanging products and
value with others" - Philip Kotler

 The process of exchanging products and value has nothing to do with
"monetary units". I'm not quite sure why everyone tries to place $stash
there.

 Applying that to Fedora, Marketing should realize on what Fedora users
want and provide them a product (Fedora Linux) that meets their needs.
This will conduct to a recognition of Value on Fedora Linux (product) by
our users.

 There is no monetary units involved here... neither sales... it's
mainly strategical. Thats how a corporation (any multinational) usually
sees marketing. Probably smaller companies with different management
models (not marketing driven) see it as a sales force (then BANG!...
they are not competitive in most cases and blame India and China)... But
that's another story.

 Anyway, I like your idea of pushing this forward somewhere after F13. I
will be one of the supports in several things you mention, starting with
social networks.

 I am not aware if you saw the news almost 2 weeks ago, a company in
London (clothes shop I think) made a small facebook campaign. 30.000
people subscrived it, not all went to the opening, but it was chaos and
havoc, nearly riots and lots of policial agressivity on the store
surroundings, they even closed the road.

 For sure social networks do provide a good evangelization tool.

 I look forward to see a serious plan involving social networks.

 nelson.