Small question regardin Fedora

Mario Torre neugens at limasoftware.net
Sat Apr 17 12:30:14 UTC 2010

Il giorno sab, 17/04/2010 alle 02.10 -0400, Marian Holovatskyy ha
scritto:

> On 16 April 2010 18:54, Nelson Marques <07721 at ipam.pt> wrote:
>
>          A small question, when talking about Fedora, we should use it
>         as male
>         or female? In portuguese there is no genitive or "it", nouns
>         always have
>         gender, either male or female.
>
>          One strange example is kernel, where it is refered often as
>         male and
>         other times as female 8)
>
>          Anyway, this probably is more in the field of translation
>         teams, but do
>         we have anything set for this kind of situations ?
>
>          nelson.

In Italian, Fedora is "una distribuzione Linux". That is, female.

But we don't say "she" because it's a thing, it would be not
appropriate, we would say "that" (essa), but in fact we simply omit the
pronoun, for example, translating "you remember the name of that Linux
distribution... It was so cool..." would be:

"Ti ricordi il nome di quella distribuzione Linux... Era
fantastica..." [1]

You would end up talking funny if you say "essa" here.

In Portugues it would be something similar I guess because similar are
the rules for the pronoun so something like:

"Você se lembra o nome da distribuição Linux... era tão legal..."

Cheers,
Mario

[1] actually, cool would be translated is so different ways, but you
would end up talking funny anyway :)

--
pgp key: http://subkeys.pgp.net/

Proud GNU Classpath developer: http://www.classpath.org/