Google Adwords - not sure if off-topic

Nelson Marques 07721 at ipam.pt
Sun Apr 18 22:48:16 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-04-18 at 13:05 -0700, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 11:12 AM, inode0 <inode0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>> >

> <snipped a lot of things here....>
>
> > One of the things that somewhat distresses me about the work of
> > ambassadors is that I have a feeling that a lot of resources might be
> > going in directions that aren't the most fruitful. I'm sure we have
> > contributors who come to the project in just about every way that one
> > can imagine. But I see very few who enter from the places we seem to
> > focus our energies most (handing out media at events and having random
> > people download media). That is not to suggest that doing those things
> > isn't of value, it is just to suggest that I'm not sure it is the best
> > way to draw contributors into the project. I see a very large number
> > of contributors join the project from working in related communities
> > where Fedora contributors are also present. Fedora contributors "rub
> > off" on others in common communities and with encouragement of the
> > right people we increase the contributor base.
> >

> One of the things we talked about as part of the Marketing Plan for
> F14 and beyond was "Building on-ramps" - i.e. creating ways for
> contributors to get involved, and one of those ways was "EasyFix" -
> things that can be easily done by a newcomer, without having a huge
> barrier to contribution.

+1. Great news.

> Another thing I'd like to note is that - and I may be wrong here - but
> I think a lot of people hear "contribute to open source" and they
> think, "I can't code."  We really need to emphasize the distinction to
> prospective contributors that coding is NOT a requirement.

+1. We can we most cases try to elaborate on this and work it out. I'll
be willing to help in what I can in campaigns to gather people around
us.

> Something I would love to see at events is to always have a FAD going
> on simultaneously - a room where prospective contributors can see
> Fedora people at work, having fun. A place where they can go and get
> involved.  To expound:
>
> * People coming up to the booth don't just get a CD - they get a slip
> of paper (1/4 or 1/2 sheet) saying, "Hey, we're having a Fedora
> Activity Day. Want to come contribute?" and pull some of the content
> from http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Join onto that flyer.  Something
> advertising loudly that there are many roles to fulfill in our project
> - NOT just coding.

+1. In fact, something like a FAD or hack events would actually be a
good place to invite local communities to join. We could break ice
probably in a nice way. Maybe by at least showing the tools we use.

Robyn, if you believe that it might be of interest, I planning to go on
the lists for fudcon 2011. Anyway we could work out some marketing
stuff? That way I can include it already in the plans.

> * A "New Contributor Wrangler" present at the FAD - someone (dedicated
> to this purpose) who can sit with someone and guide them through the
> following:
>      ** Talk to the potential contributor about their interests / capabilities
>      ** Signing up for an account in FAS
>      ** Signing them up for a mailing list account and getting them
> into a FAS group - let them know when meetings are for that particular
> group.  If they're getting mail, they may show up to meetings, or
> check things out.  Maybe have a sheet highlighting what each
> individual group does, with how to sign up, when meetings are, and
> what they do.
>
> * Have a list of EasyFix items available for someone to work on. These
> could include things like:
>      ** editing something off a list of wiki pages for content / grammar
>      ** making wiki redirects for things like "Fedora_13_Artwork"
> point to "F13_Artwork"
>      ** for more advanced users / coder types - a list of fonts to package
>      ** for artist types - help us make a new banner for X
>      ** for those who aren't shy - Want to interview some other Fedora
> contributors on video (or help film, etc) about why they are involved
> in Fedora and what they do?
>      ** Bug zapping - specific items
>      ** Help us install Fedora on this batch of donated machines for
> $localschool.
>      ** Help us test this list of things that need to get tested on $newwebpage.
>      ** etc.
>
> * Alternately, if FAD activities are appropriate for Potential
> Contributor's capabilities - get them involved in the FAD!
>
> * We have cookies! or dinner! or whatever!
>
> I don't know if this would work - maybe we'd pick up a bunch of new,
> ongoing contributors, or maybe 2 or 3, or possibly none.  It would
> definitely be an experiment.  I think it's worth trying - it wouldn't
> take much effort to pass out a piece of paper with the CD or random
> swag and say, oh hey, if you're interested in contributing....
>
> Thoughts?

Very interesting stuff you bring up in the email. Personally, +1 in
nearly everything, as long as I can stay from the oven. Baking cookies
not my fight.

I do believe that marketing could do a lot on this field, though this is
a real epic thing to consider. You have my attention and I will gladly
cooperate in any way you believe I can be more useful.

Actually events like FAD's, hack sessions and such are good ways of
having more people involved. I would also recon that it would from the
interest of several institutions like Universities to support this kind
of thing. I would believe that between Ambassadors, Marketing and
everyone else we could probably see what we could actually do to help
Fedora Teams to exchange experiences with a wide community, thus
bringing them closer to us.

Really *very good* and juicy stuff.