In the news: Zarafa

Nelson Marques 07721 at ipam.pt
Tue Apr 20 20:03:40 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-04-20 at 15:43 -0400, Jan Wildeboer wrote:
> As long as it doesn't becom Fedora investing time and ressources on
> correcting and defending openCore companies, fine with me.

I am not planning to contribute on that field. In fact I turned down a
Feature Profile suggestion the other day about Zarafa.

> I still would advice Zarafa to call the opensource version different. Makes
> all of our lives easier. But that is mid-term and up to Zarafa. Short term
> we should try to set it right where needed by commenting and talking to
> authors of articles.

I would leave that to the strategical planning people. I do share some
of your concerns specially on brand integrity and one thing that is
clear: the current name is free advertising for "open core" (whatever
that means).

We shouldn't do a press release, the ones who make Zarafa should, and
the investment on clearing this sort of thing should be from them (my
humble opinion), as they are clearly taking advantage of having a
product or at least an association mainstreamed freely through a
powerful distribution channel like Fedora.

> But we should focus more on the true goodies of Fedora. Zarafa is - as you
> said - only one of them.

Sure we do... and in my opinion the press has failed in getting some
cool features and nice engineering... like Mesa 7.8, ATI Driver not
being unstable, nouveau (which all are truly amazing pieces of
engineering).

PS: Personal opinion post, not to be associated with any institution I
might be connected to.