Keyword Optimization on FP / Self-Introduction: Garland Binns

Garland Binns gbinns at mediarake.com
Wed Apr 21 01:10:45 UTC 2010

Hi Everyone,

My name is Garland. I've been looking through fedoraproject.org and I
noticed that there isn't a ton of keyword optimization. There definitely
appears to be a lot of potential for increasing our rank and penetration
within the search engines, hence, bringing us more relevant traffic and
potential users/contributors. For example, the core pages that appear in the
top left of the home page (Home, Get Fedora, Join Fedora, Help) all have the
same title tag and no meta description - they also don't appear to be
well-optimized for any keywords other than the phrase Fedora Project. By
changing this not only could we increase exposure by inserting additional
highly sought after keywords, this would also give us the opportunity for
these main pages to appear independently on the same page of search results,
giving us more page share leaving less room for other results that could be
siphoning potential visitors.

Just the word "linux" alone, has many variants that are currently generating
hundreds of thousands of searches each month. With a little work we could
start taking advantage of this:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1673758/linux_keyword_ideas_20100420_1535408.csv

Here is another spreadsheet which also has many variants:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1673758/linux_distro_keyword_ideas_20100420_1739862.csv

Just the term "linux iso" is used approximately 200,000 times in searches
worldwide each month. These are people that already know how to create discs
to distribute. We are nowhere to be found on any of the search engines
because none of our pages are optimized for this term.

Wouldn't it be a good thing if people were able to see a link to Get Fedora
when they were searching for a linux iso?

I would love to collaborate and join the Marketing Team to come up with a
plan for taking advantage of these opportunities.

With that said, here's my Mad Lib:

Hi, my name is Garland Binns and I live in Chicago, IL. My Fedora Account
System (FAS) username is gbinns, and my IRC nick is gbinns.

I learned about the Fedora Marketing team through the Websites Team, and am
interested in joining because I'm a full time Internet marketing
professional, web developer, and project manager.

This is the first FOSS project I have worked on, however, I've administered
and implemented many different marketing projects and programs in the past
in other arenas, specifically related to email, SEO, SEM, SMM. and the
Internet.

My skills, which I hope to utilize in Fedora Marketing, include:

(Marketing Skills) - Email/SEO/SEM/SMM
(Other Skills) - Project Management/Web Design/Web Development
I'd also like to learn more about Linux-based programming languages.
When I'm not working on Fedora, I am working full-time at Media Rake, Inc.,
which is a company that helps businesses grow online.

A couple of goals I have for the Fedora Project are expanding its reach to
convert people to Fedora like myself, who have frequently relied on Windows
and OSX in the past when it comes to computing, and seeing Fedora become the
number one distro on the Internet.

I am wondering if I can join the Marketing Team.

Please help me get started!

Sincerely,
Garland

--
Garland Binns: Media Rake, Inc. - Digital Landscape Architects
Phone: (646) 867-2335 | Fax: (877) 329-3410 | Web: www.mediarake.com

DISCLAIMER: This message contains confidential information and is intended
only for the individual(s) named. If you are not the named addressee(s), you
should not disseminate, distribute or copy this email. Please notify the
sender immediately if you have received this email by mistake and delete
this email from your system(s). Email transmission cannot be guaranteed to
be secure or error-free, as information could be intercepted, corrupted,
lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. Media Rake,
Inc. and the sender do not accept liability for any errors and/or omissions
in the contents of this message which arise as a result of email
transmission. If verification is required, please request a hard-copy
version. All physical correspondence should be written with attention to the
sender and addressed to Media Rake, Inc., 2019 N. Whipple St., Chicago, IL
60647, United States of America.