Why Linux isn't attracting young developers

Nelson Marques 07721 at ipam.pt
Wed Apr 21 16:46:06 UTC 2010

I have submited this, not to focus on kernel develop, though the article
is nice and the featured links provide good information, we need to:

 # think out of the box

>From all those comments, I've went through many of them... and I got to
recognize that there are some valid stuff there that we can actually
related to Fedora and possibly use such input for thinking in a
different way about it.

 Though it's pointed kernel development, I would believe that some of
those problems are also shared with us. I'm not after why the
corporations this or that, or if there would be corporations or not. The
important part is what people who have gone through and not went through
FOSS devep have to say, their points of view. Eventually we can dig in
some important info from here to think over on ways in which we can be
more attractive to new developers/etc enrolling on FOSS projects such as
Fedora.

 For those who are not aware, there is also some fuss about the future
of OpenSolaris and whatever Oracle want's to do with it. Some say
"FORK", but forking starts with knifes and some backstabs on their own,
because such communities many times do not have structure to fork
whatever they want to fork. And unlike us, they probably don't have so
many people committed to it.

 Honestly, facing the very huge allegations and replies from slashdot
users... can we take some points to think over stuff we can actually
improve here on Fedora so that no one would write or refer to us in that
way? Basically, what can we take from there that could help us continue
a great story of success ?

 I mean, we need to get more people enrolled 8)