Something more about Fedora 13... and YOUTUBE.

Nicholas Ozorak ozorakn at allegheny.edu
Fri Apr 23 20:03:54 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 1:24 PM, Nelson Marques <07721 at ipam.pt> wrote:
> http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Fedora+13&aq=f
>
> Disclaimer: I propose a truce on this thread and no "licensing" weapons
> of mass destruction please. The important thing is feedback.
>
> That is the result of a query for "Fedora 13"... some of those videos
> are pretty nice. I don't know who is the person on the videos neither
> the full extent of his publications. I understand that we have problems
> with H.264 and it's seen as something malefic to our noble beliefs.
>
> Anyway, my questions:
>
> # How could Marketing support people who develop that work? Could we
> provide them more material? (at least compilation of links?).
>
> # Should we support their work? (their work, not their ways of diffusing
> information, so we can skip the H264 issues)
>
> # Should we run something like a small program (probably a database of
> info) to cooperate with people who are actually promoting us?
>
> # About user feedback. Shouldn't we lurk and take notes on criticism
> made by people outside our community? Eventually try to identify for
> flaws and prepare some corrections so we can actually try to leverage
> their expectations with satisfaction ?
>

> Now considering the following search: "FEDORA REVIEW"
>
> http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Fedora+review&aq=f
>
> A simple indicator that pops out, is that hits have been dropping since
> Fedora 10 ;). Less people interested ?
>
> Can we for Fedora 14 work on feature profiles maybe earlier on and have
> some material already prepared for people doing reviews? Should we
> actually start a program or campaign so that we can provide segmented
> information for everyone who wants to do this kind of work?
>
> By the way, I would like to point something very interesting...
>
> Hits for "Fedora PS3" are incredible... Who is doing this Fedora stuff
> on PS3? Do we have a good reason for neglecting this? Because to me it
> appears that this gets a lot of interest... is that a SPIN ? 8)
>
> Another interesting thing is comparing the search results and hits for:
>
> Fedora
> Ubuntu
> opensuse
> debian
> arch linux.
>

> This mainly result of pure curiosity.
>
> nelson

Nelson,

I'm glad to see that there's still discussion about this.  To answer
your questions:

1)  I think material should unquestionably be provided.  It should
also be clear to content providers what they are permitted to use
(logos, screenshots, etc) without fear of repercussions.

2)  We should unquestionably show support for their work.  If they do
not receive any forms of feedback, they may lose interest.

3) I think that a small program would benefit us overall.  Personally,
I'm still keen on the idea of having someone from Marketing manage a
YouTube account and accept works that do the best job of showcasing
Fedora's capabilities.

4) I'm from outside of the community, but I think that lurking without
any engagement will discourage people from contributing ideas.  Taking
notes is important, but so is engagement.

> Can we for Fedora 14 work on feature profiles maybe earlier on and have
> some material already prepared for people doing reviews? Should we
> actually start a program or campaign so that we can provide segmented
> information for everyone who wants to do this kind of work?

I think this is crucial, as it would illustrate how much Fedora values
its users and contributors.

Further thoughts, anyone?

Nick