Chinese marketing

Paul Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sun Apr 25 15:28:22 UTC 2010

On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 11:14 AM, Gerard Braad <gbraad at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>

> soon I will go to Beijing, China (for family and work); I will be busy
> with the promotion of FLOSS. One of those efforts deal with assisting
> the Chinese Fedora Community. We have already done a lot, but I was
> wondering if any efforts were taken to have marketing in the Chinese
> language; if not... I can assist with the marketing which is tailored
> towards the culture and audience and have people involved who can
> assist in the longterm.

Gerard,

We would be *very* interested. We have a few Ambassadors in China, as
I'm sure you're aware. We have a fairly strong translation community
in China, but we should strive to do more than just provide
translations of existing content. It would be very helpful to have
someone who can bridge the considerable language gap.

For a start, Gerard, maybe you can identify some of the primary gaps
we have. What questions to Chinese Fedora users and potential
contributors have? In what areas can we improve information we offer
to Chinese speaking people?

Another question in which I'm keenly interested is, where do Chinese
users get Fedora? If they're using mirrors in China, are there enough
of them? Can we find more administrators willing to distribute Fedora
on mirrors?

Paul