release slogan, round 2.

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 20:27:45 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 03:09:22PM -0400, Jared K. Smith wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 1:22 PM, Larry Cafiero <larry.cafiero at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Just putting this out there for discussion, or not: Is $SLOGAN=NONE still an
> > option?
>
> Yes, it's still an option.  My plan was to 1) figure out what to do
> for an F14 slogan and then 2) come up with a long-term plan.  Are you
> suggesting not having a slogan for F14, or not having a slogan at all,
> or both?

I suggested in a couple meetings and other places that a
release-specific slogan that changes every six months doesn't meet the
"simplify and amplify" advice that professional marketeer Chris Grams
gave us in the Marketing FAD earlier this year.  I think Larry may be
harkening back to that (or maybe he and I are just simpatico on
this?).

There's a front web page redesign going on right now.  I think it
makes more sense for us to invest in a long-term message there that is
consistent with Fedora in general, as opposed to one specific release
theme like the release-specific slogan.