FUDPub @ Sparky's Den (Part two)

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Sat Aug 28 18:43:26 UTC 2010

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 21:17, Robyn Bergeron <robyn.bergeron at gmail.com> wrote:
> Okay. Here's an update on Sparky's Den after I did some phone calling today.
>
> * We can rent Sparky's Den on Saturday or Sunday night; both are
> currently available.  Cost would be $155/hr.
> * Sparky's Den, as previously mentioned, has 8 lanes of bowling, 14
> billiards tables, 2 table tennis tables, foosball, 4 tvs, and an
> arcade. The cost for all of these activities, including bowling shoe
> rental, is included in the $155/hr cost. Sparky's is open until 11pm.
> * We would need to utilize University catering or other approved
> catering places for food.
> * We can have alcohol.  We would need to work with a bartending
> service, specifically Pourmasters (the only one asu catering usually
> works with).  We are able to provide our own alcohol, but per
> university rules, we cannot have a cash bar.  It must be an open bar.
> * There is some sort of rule about no under-21's in the serving area.
> I'm not sure exactly what that means, but obviously that is something
> we need to figure out. If that means we can't have people under 21
> near the alcohol, or we all need to be cordoned off, that's not going
> to work so well. I have (yet another) call put in to figure this out.
> We would also need to get a liquor permit from the University, which
> from what I understand is a very easy process.

Most universities require cordon area between alcohol and non-21's for
legal and insurance reasons. It can mean anything from a no one under
21 past a door or a 'drinks are served past this and people must be
carded to get them'. Depending on the city legislation etc it might
also mean that 21 year olds aren't allowed into a pub etc. [Things
have changed quite a bit in the last 8 years on this with the rules
getting a lot tougher because of 20 year old binge drinkers dieing and
large law suits being awarded] Some of the toughest laws are in the
Southwest because we seem to only know how to do things at extremes
:).. [eg we either never card or make sure you have taken a
breathalizer, fingerprinted, and carded before you are served.. ok
going a little overboard ...]

--
Stephen J Smoogen.