Query: Survey tool availability for Fedora Project

Jesús Franco tezcatl at fedoraproject.org
Wed Dec 1 04:20:36 UTC 2010

On Mar 30 Nov 2010 09:30:30 Pascal Calarco escribió:
> On 11/30/2010 08:56 AM, Pascal Calarco wrote:
> > Hi Logistics, News and Marketing folk --
> >
> > One of the FWN Beat writers, Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay[1], passed along
> > results of a recent survey[2] of Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter[3] to me
> > yesterday.  I think it is interesting to see how readers use and value a
> > publication such as FWN, and I'm thinking it would also be useful to
> > inform how FWN on Fedora Insight[4] should be presented and what
> > features readers might expect.
> >
> > My immediate question for the group is whether there is a survey tool
> > that is available on Fedora Project hosted servers that we could use for
> > an FWN survey.  Thanks much!
> >
> > [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Sankarshan
> > [2] http://akgraner.com/?p=820
> > [3]
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/Issue217?action=show&redir
> > ect=UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter%2FCurrent [4]
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Insight
> >
> >     - pascal
> >
> > ---
> > Pascal Calarco, Fedora Ambassador, Indiana, USA / FWN Editor
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pcalarco
>
> Okay, so I stumbled upon the Marketing Research page[1], and from that,
> it seems like we are committed to using Limesurvey on a Fedora-hosted
> box eventually, but there are some open tickets[2] with packaging,
> licensing and such that are blockers.  Should we perhaps use
> Limeservice[3] as was used for FUDCon 2009 Toronto then?  And where can
> I apply for community funds to pay for additional responses we might
> have to an FWN survey beyond the first 25 which are free?  Thanks all!
>
>    - pascal
>
> [1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing_research
> [2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Things_to_do_to_finish_Limesurvey
> [3] http://www.limeservice.com/

There is a Ruby standalone tool called "the decider" on
https://labs.riseup.net/ for making quick and custom surveys. When you create
a survey (clicking on "decider", and then entering the issue), you receive a
unique url for that survey. Is based on trust, so is not enforcing
authentication, and i think it shouldn't be a problem inside Fedora community.

This is an example:
https://labs.riseup.net/decider/issue/view/iemaebienoohoocoophe

You'll see, there is a basic range of options for every possibility. The code
is hosted in https://labs.riseup.net/code . Of course the reliability for real
decisions is not included in this standalone webapp. But in crabgrass (our
social network) is included with authentication included (with history too),
example:
https://we.riseup.net/crabgrassdemo/crabgrass-demo-group-meeting-time+9662

and there is another two tools useful, one more like a questionaire, another a
poll with something like a ranged vote. But i have no public accesible pages
to show you, sorry. You should register to access some examples in user
feedback group.

So, here are my two cents:

a) Using quick surveys (self-hosting the decider, or using the webapp in
riseup).

b) Testing the other tools on the https://we.riseup.net/ social network, my
public profile is in https://we.riseup.net/tzk and i'd love help with any
doubts for making the tests you want.

It's free as beer, and free as in freedom ;)

------
At your service,

Jesús Franco, Ambassador and Translator on Chimalhuacán, México.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Tezcatl
http://identi.ca/tzk

Links:
[0] https://labs.riseup.net/decider < webapp
[1] https://labs.riseup.net/code < code for this and another tools.
[2] https://labs.riseup.net/decider/issue/view/iemaebienoohoocoophe < example
[3] https://we.riseup.net/crabgrassdemo/crabgrass-demo-group-meeting-time+9662
^ example of authenticated survey inside crabgrass social network
[4] https://we.riseup.net/tzk < your friend at that land ;)