Query: Survey tool availability for Fedora Project

Jesús Franco tezcatl at fedoraproject.org
Wed Dec 1 04:20:36 UTC 2010

On Mar 30 Nov 2010 09:30:30 Pascal Calarco escribió:
> On 11/30/2010 08:56 AM, Pascal Calarco wrote:
> > Hi Logistics, News and Marketing folk --
> >
> > One of the FWN Beat writers, Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay[1], passed along
> > results of a recent survey[2] of Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter[3] to me
> > yesterday.  I think it is interesting to see how readers use and value a
> > publication such as FWN, and I'm thinking it would also be useful to
> > inform how FWN on Fedora Insight[4] should be presented and what
> > features readers might expect.
> >
> > My immediate question for the group is whether there is a survey tool
> > that is available on Fedora Project hosted servers that we could use for
> > an FWN survey.  Thanks much!
> >
> > [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Sankarshan
> > [2] http://akgraner.com/?p=820
> > [3]
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/Issue217?action=show&redir
> > ect=UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter%2FCurrent [4]
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Insight
> >
> >     - pascal
> >
> > ---
> > Pascal Calarco, Fedora Ambassador, Indiana, USA / FWN Editor
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Pcalarco
> Okay, so I stumbled upon the Marketing Research page[1], and from that,
> it seems like we are committed to using Limesurvey on a Fedora-hosted
> box eventually, but there are some open tickets[2] with packaging,
> licensing and such that are blockers.  Should we perhaps use
> Limeservice[3] as was used for FUDCon 2009 Toronto then?  And where can
> I apply for community funds to pay for additional responses we might
> have to an FWN survey beyond the first 25 which are free?  Thanks all!
>    - pascal
> [1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing_research
> [2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Things_to_do_to_finish_Limesurvey
> [3] http://www.limeservice.com/

There is a Ruby standalone tool called "the decider" on
https://labs.riseup.net/ for making quick and custom surveys. When you create
a survey (clicking on "decider", and then entering the issue), you receive a
unique url for that survey. Is based on trust, so is not enforcing
authentication, and i think it shouldn't be a problem inside Fedora community.

This is an example:

You'll see, there is a basic range of options for every possibility. The code
is hosted in https://labs.riseup.net/code . Of course the reliability for real
decisions is not included in this standalone webapp. But in crabgrass (our
social network) is included with authentication included (with history too),

and there is another two tools useful, one more like a questionaire, another a
poll with something like a ranged vote. But i have no public accesible pages
to show you, sorry. You should register to access some examples in user
feedback group.

So, here are my two cents:

a) Using quick surveys (self-hosting the decider, or using the webapp in

b) Testing the other tools on the https://we.riseup.net/ social network, my
public profile is in https://we.riseup.net/tzk and i'd love help with any
doubts for making the tests you want.

It's free as beer, and free as in freedom ;)

At your service,

Jesús Franco, Ambassador and Translator on Chimalhuacán, México.

[0] https://labs.riseup.net/decider < webapp
[1] https://labs.riseup.net/code < code for this and another tools.
[2] https://labs.riseup.net/decider/issue/view/iemaebienoohoocoophe < example
[3] https://we.riseup.net/crabgrassdemo/crabgrass-demo-group-meeting-time+9662
^ example of authenticated survey inside crabgrass social network
[4] https://we.riseup.net/tzk < your friend at that land ;)