FWN reader survey

Robyn Bergeron rbergero at redhat.com
Mon Dec 6 20:52:01 UTC 2010

On 12/03/2010 11:42 AM, Pascal Calarco wrote:
> On 12/03/2010 11:24 AM, Mel Chua wrote:
>>> I would welcome your feedback between now and next Wednesday, when I
>>> would like to include the survey with the next issue of FWN.
>> The survey looks good to my untrained eyes - I like that you included
>> the completion time and the names of everyone working on FWN... will
>> probably need to do a lot of blogging/IRC-pinging/personal contacts to
>> get folks to take the survey, but the survey itself is good stuff.
>>
>> The two Fedora-Marketing-esque folks I can think of with formal survey
>> design experience are Robyn and Diana (although I think some Red Hat
>> Marketing folks also hang out here?) so if they have a moment, their
>> feedback will probably be better than mine... forwarding to Diana since
>> I don't know if she's on this list, and I know Robyn is (obviously) ;-)
>>
>>> I am thinking we'll be safe to purchase 500 responses for US$35.  I
>>> think we would be wildly successful if we got that many responses.  We
>>> could also go with 250 responses, for $13 less, but the incremental cost
>>> seems minimal between 250 and 500 responses.
>> As a Fedora community member, this seems extremely reasonable to me. As
>> one of the people with a Red Hat credit card authorized to use it for
>> Fedora budget, this also seems extremely reasonable to me.
>>
>> Rock on.
>>
>> --Mel
> Thanks for the feedback, Mel!  Diana, here's the URL for the draft of
> the survey:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/File:FWN-draft-survey-20101203.pdf
>
>      - pascal

Here are my basic thoughts:

* Some additional demographic information wouldn't hurt. Something along
the lines of, "In what region of the world are you (NA, LATAM, APAC,
EMEA)", or "What is your primary language."  In fact

* The questions on "which beats are most useful" and "which sections are
least useful" made me do a double-take - Are beats and sections
different? No, they're the same thing, at least from looking at the
list, but the terminology used to describe it should be the same in both
questions.  If I were writing the survey, I would do something more
along the lines of,

"For the following Beats (individual sections of the newsletter), please
rate the usefulness on a scale of 1 to 5, with 1 being 'not useful at
all' and 5 being very useful, or 0 for 'do not use'."  This helps cut
down on the # of questions, and probably slightly more relevant / less
confusing feedback for you guys.

I'm honestly not sure that "usefulness" is the best word here. Are you
looking to find out if having that information is *helpful* to people,
or just trying to find out if the information provided is informative
enough, detailed enough, or .... ?

Other than that - it looks awesome. Are you targeting this for just
being in English? IIRC, limesurvey does support multiple language
choices, assuming someone is able to do the translating.

I LOVE LIMESURVEY! I haven't said that enough lately. ;)

-Robyn