Linux.com article: The Top 7 Best Linux Distributions for You

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 23:47:15 UTC 2010

On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 05:57:38PM -0700, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
> http://www.linux.com/learn/docs/ldp/282996-choosing-the-best-linux-distributions-for-you
>
> <snip>
> To help users discover the Linux distribution that's best for them,
> this resource will definitively list the best candidates for the
> various types of Linux users to try. The use-case categories will be:
>
> Best Desktop Distribution
> Best Laptop Distribution
> Best Enterprise Desktop
> Best Enterprise Server
> Best LiveCD
> Best Security-Enhanced Distribution
> Best Multimedia Distribution
>
> </snip>
>
> Note: Fedora isn't listed for any of the above.
>
> Would have been interesting to see something like "Best Distro for
> Community Participation" or "Best Distro for Engineers".....

Since I get different answers for each of these categories, depending
on whose article I'm reading today, are any of these articles truly
useful?  Maybe not.  But more importantly, why isn't Fedora chosen for
any of these categories?  Does the author disclose on what basis each
distro was rated?  Were some distros not considered?  I have more
questions than answers after reading the article, although at the same
time, I'd be happy to see us more often mentioned in these articles.

I'm thinking about changing distros on my main workstation for a week
or so just to experience what other people think is a clear
differentiation between them.