I had a cool Idea why don't we put on an artshow!

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Wed Feb 17 07:01:51 UTC 2010

On 02/16/2010 06:45 PM, Nelson Marques wrote:

> To keep a community alive, I would recon we will need more than this. I
> would add the possibility of having micro-blogging functionanility
> attached to this gallery. Interaction will be a key feature in keeping
> the community alive and recruiting new people, besides keeping a high
> interest degree from those already involved.

We in Fedora use identi.ca for micro-blogging, but this way is not very
effective: being spread all around the world is not easy easy to have
communication in real-time.
When we need real-time communication, we prefer IRC, having 2 channels:
#fedora-art about creating art *with* Fedora and #fedora-design for
creating art *for* Fedora.

> I do agree, but tools aren't just enough. There should also be present a
> strong human bound and at some point an environment of cumplicity
> amongst our users.

The most important part in my experience is getting *good* feedback from
your colleagues.

> Being a student myself, I've been developing works for school that aim
> real life situations. I would eventually point to a campaign that aims
> to target art students through schools.
> About deviantart, they provide sales services (and I do "gear up" my
> desktop on DeviantART). We shouldn't probably take such approach, but
> the functionality (non-commercial) should be something that we can take
> as a good example.

I never used the commercial part of deviantART, but I acknowledge its
interface and community.

> If you look at http://art.gnome.org, it's been dead for quite some time,
> and it's way smaller than Deviant Art. So there's a good example that
> just a small gallery isn't enough. We need more... As an artist, what
> would you consider important to have to build a community and keep them
> interested everyday ?

I submitted a few works to art.gnome.org and didn't like it: the proces
was not direct, everything was going trough a human who processed and
posted the submissions. The community was small, and you had little
feedback and small exposure.