A question to this list regarding Fedora as a Product

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 16:53:36 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 03:18:03PM -0500, David Nalley wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 3:07 PM, Nelson Marques <07721 at ipam.pt> wrote:
> >  From what I could understand, two goals to reach:
> >
> >  - Increase the number of Fedora users
> >  - Increase the number of Fedora contributors
>
> Well I'd say that's a misconception.
> Fedora is concerned with growing it's contributor base and advancing
> the state of free software.
>
> Fedora isn't at all concerned with the "getting mindshare above all
> else" type of mentality that most orgs have. While we want and like
> users, I don't think that we actively try and seek out what people
> want as driving our decisions.

At the same time, though, we're trying to identify places where we are
actually *driving away* users.  Through more attention to these
problems and the many easy fixes we could put in place, we can do
better on both of the goals Nelson mentions.

Our aim is not to carpet-bomb the planet with CDs, nor to just
accumulate fans.  We prefer to define and follow more sustainable
practices, aided by strong engineering and good upstream partnership
with the projects creating important and innovative software.