Idea and Possible Event in Aveiro, Portugal

Justin O'Brien three at threethirty.us
Sat Feb 27 21:47:17 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-02-27 at 21:32 +0000, Nelson Marques wrote:
> Hi Gerold,

>  It's mainly an idea for now, and I haven't contacted no one yet.
>  May could be fun, because it's the students festivities (and 25% of
> Aveiro resident population is students). So, we also have a nice
> playground to have some fun after the event :)
>
>  As I said previously, I haven't contacted the ambassadors, because it's
> just a sketch of an idea, needs to get more substract (hopefully from
> this thread).
>  I would recon that we could eventually develop a bit more this idea on
> the list and then present it to the Ambassadors once it gets more
> "stable".
>
>  Here's a list of people that could get involved:
>
>  - Aveiro City Hall (through the cultural and educational department)
>  - PT Inovação S.A. (as a open source enabler in the market, they used a
> lot of Red Hat when I was there (1999/2001), not sure what they use now,
> but I can select the people that are pro Red Hat (my former boss would
> be great, he was the one who teached me a lot about Red Hat back then,
> and he also gives conferences sometimes, so he has a lot background and
> experience).
>  - Inforlandia Lda > They were one of the first, if not the first
> hardware manufacturer/OEM brander to ship with pre-installed GNU/Linux.
> They are a good company, and they count with local engineering people
> from nvidia and Clevo.
>  - IPAM > My University (bellongs to the Ensigest Group, present in
> Europe and Americas).
>  - University of Aveiro > One of the highest technological poles in the
> country. They form a lot of good people and some of their teachers are
> deeply involved in Free Software promotion (like Dr. Ruben Mendes from
> ANSOL, which was also a contributer/maintainer for Debian in the past,
> if I'm not wrong).
>  - Fedora Community > of course.
>  - Red Hat ?
>  - I would like to contact probably one or two ISP's and mobile
> operators (reason: e-student program from the governament provides
> mobile networking aswell for students. Supported? Alert to open
> source?).
>
>  Keep feeding the thread and comenting everything, so we can have a
> clear inview of what we can do and what we cant do before we start
> rallying for manpower and things we need.
>
>  Feel free to contact me in private: 07721 at ipam.pt,
> nmarques at fedoraproject.org.
>
>  My German is basic ;) (almost 15 years without practicing on it)
> English would be preferred.
>

>  Thanks for the support,
>
>  Nelson
>
> On Sat, 2010-02-27 at 22:11 +0100, Gerold Kassube wrote:
> > +1
> >
> > Nelson, your plans are awesome and I personaly like to see it happen.
> > You will get my highest support to make it happen. Maybe I find also a
> > possibility to attend if it really happen in May or June and during a
> > weekend ..

> [...]

Nelson,

Actually the Ambassador List would be the place to flush this out. We
actually have a budget for doing things like this and there may be some
Ambassadors near you that could help out.

--
Justin "threethirty" O'Brien
Fedora Ambassador & Marketing Team Member
threethirty at fedoraproject.org
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Threethirty
threethirty on freenode.net
@threethirty - twitter/identi.ca/jaiku