Simple Questions(REF: October 2009 Archives )

Joerg Simon jsimon at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jan 14 19:28:29 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 1:09 AM, bhutto aamir <amir181920 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> What i think is that fedora should start its certifications/courses to
> get people more involved with it, it will serve as a test ground or more
> like a medium to prove your skills level, having skill full people around
> the globe can easily helps us in migrating organizations from *** to
> fedora with an ease and comfort.
> They should be more confident in taking
> these steps if only they would have a hand full of fedora certified
> developer's administrators. Many IT institutes running their private
> projects educating people and helping them in their preparation for *IT
> CERTIFICATIONS* thus if fedora starts its own certification programs then
> i guess there would be a huge demand of this, and it will also act as
> helping ground for fedora.

It is all about to enable people to contribute!

From my pov there is no real good usecase for a fedora-certification.

There is already a very high quality and mature training and certification
programm from RedHat and often Fedora Contributors who can prove their
contributions can get discounts. And i do not see a point why the Trademark
Owner (RedHat) should launch another one - not really necessary to bring
fedora forward.

But your intention to have "skill full people around the globe" to spread and
help with all things along fedora, is something good and we already focus on
this with the Ambassadors Group and with the mentoring approach we have since
last year. Mentors enable new Ambassadors to act as speaker, teacher and
liasons inside (between the fedora groups) and outside (in the public). To
teach contributors we also have irc classrooms to reach a larger audience and
to cover certain aspects. We also do community consulting where a company can
"hire" a contributor for a certain task and make a donation to a non-Profit
Organisation like the Fedora EMEA e.V. Another approach is enable teachers and
professors to teach Open Source - like the POSSE Program.
So lets work on improving the mentoring processes - so people can be proud to
become a fedora contributor and instead showing a paper can show real
contributions!

cu Joerg

--
Joerg (kital) Simon
jsimon at fedoraproject.org
http://kitall.blogspot.com
Key Fingerprint:
3691 0989 2DCA 58A2 8D1F 2CAC C823 558E 5B5B 5688