FUDCon schedule for FY 2011

Robyn Bergeron robyn.bergeron at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 18:04:04 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 9:38 AM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 08:32:32AM -0700, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 7:43 AM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > The schedule for FY2011 FUDCons will certainly be on our radar at the
>> > Events FAD in a few weeks.  But in advance of that I wanted to confirm
>> > a couple things:
>> >
>> > * There are plans for only one FUDCon in the North America (NA)
>> >  region, as with all other regions.  Although there will be a Fedora
>> >  presence at the Red Hat Summit 2010[1] in Boston in June, this
>> >  presence will not be a FUDCon event.  I've finished a draft of
>> >  the vision for that event:
>> >
>> >  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Red_Hat_Summit_2010
>> >
>> >  Now that I've finished a bit of prep work internally with the Red
>> >  Hat organizers, I'll share it with the Fedora Marketing and
>> >  Ambassador teams.
>>
>> I've mentioned this before on the mktg-list - is there any possible
>> way that we could take advantage of press presence at the event and do
>> a mini-interview session or panel or presentation of some sort (with
>> shiny press kits, of course!)? F13 will have been out for about a
>> month prior to RH Summit; it would be a great time to reinvigorate
>> press / analysts and keep the train of coverage flowing. It would also
>> be a great time to work on trying to educate press on some of the
>> "oopsies" that have been made (on their part).
>
> I think that's a great idea, Robyn.  I know that Kara Schiltz watches
> this list, and we should get her involved in helping us plan that kind
> of activity, whom we could reasonably invite, and what specific
> information we want to address there.
>
> Also, at every Summit, typically in my role as FPL I do meet with
> press and analysts separately to give some interviews both about the
> current release and the project in general.  We should definitely
> consider how we could do that as a more community-centric event.  But
> we also need to be quite cognizant that, while we have separate FUDCon
> events focused entirely on Fedora, the Summit is focused on Red Hat.
> Therefore that kind of event needs to be closely coordinated with the
> people in charge of ensuring the Summit generates effective coverage
> for the company.

As someone who's gone to plenty of these types of events (although,
mostly analyst days, but also end-user conferences as an analyst) - I
can tell you that, from the press / analyst angle, they can get
reeeeeeeally long and one just kind of fades into the other.  If we
can use the opportunity to be a little more exciting / fun / Friends
(from the 4 F's) - I think we can make a good impression in a short
amount of time, if we have the right format and, of course, approval
:)  Although, I have to say, having been to two RH Summits - they are
definitely quite a bit more interesting and fun than the average
conference I have seen.

-Robyn