Review: 3 top Linux distros go for different users

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 02:33:19 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 11:41 PM, Mel Chua <mel at redhat.com> wrote:
> Forwarded with Michael Tiemann's permission. The short version: should we
> look into (1) figuring out an optional (opt-in, I'd suggest) tweak to get
> Fedora-specific search results when looking for Linux howtos, and/or (2) SEO
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Search_engine_optimization) at some point?
>
> --Mel

I've been meaning to reply to this for a while and was reminded again
tonight when reading

http://poelcat.wordpress.com/2010/01/29/gnome-desktop-full-of-files-directories/

As a Fedora user I occasionally encounter some problem, usually fairly
obscure. I search and occasionally find a solution embedded in some
similar problem encountered by someone using Ubuntu or another
distribution. I can see how from a marketing perspective it might be
nice if I found a solution to my problem on a Fedora related link but
the truth is that as a user I really don't care. I have a problem I
want solved, I really just want the fastest access to the solution so
I can move on. And I write it off as those other guys have so many
people having problems it is just natural that I'd find the resolution
on one of their links.

Without knowing whether the solution actually did exist on a Fedora
link I would be very much against changing the search behavior that we
have now. I like finding answers more than seeing Fedora related links
especially in the negative context of having problems.

On the plus side have you ever checked the number of Google matches
for the following?

I hate Ubuntu - about 6,420,000
I hate Fedora - about 364,000

Maybe the fact that we can't find problems on Fedora links isn't
really such a bad thing.

John