Talking points/spotlight features

Robyn Bergeron robyn.bergeron at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 16:12:30 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 9:07 AM, Robyn Bergeron
<robyn.bergeron at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 8:58 AM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
>> It's that time again -- time for us to figure out the features that
>> we want to spend a little extra effort calling out in the next Fedora
>> release because they're particularly innovative or interesting.  The
>> full explanation of talking points is found here:
>>
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Talking_points_SOP
>>
>> Note that talking points are *not* a comprehensive list.  The list is
>> meant to be short and effective at sparking the interest of many
>> different groups.  This helps show that there is something for lots of
>> people in Fedora.  The main source for the talking points is in the
>> feature list:
>>
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FeatureList
>>
>> Off the top of my head, I see some very compelling stuff to which we
>> might call people's attention:
>>
>> * systemd
>> * EC2
>> * MeeGo
>> * Roll-up of programming tools (D, Eclipse Helios, GNUstep, debugging tools)
>>
>> Things not on that list which might merit inclusion include the new
>> website design, underway and hopefully rolling out for F14.
>>
>> I've been working on a PR schedule to assist Jared in his FPL duties,
>> and next week he is supposed to meet with Red Hat's Creative team.
>> In the near future, the team will shoot videos to help show off
>> spotlight features in Fedora 14.  So the sooner we have talking points
>> included, the easier we will make their job too.
>>
>> Can we start this process slightly early?
>
> I have no issues with this - in fact,
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_14_Talking_Points is already
> being filled out.

And if we want to - we could do an impromptu meeting around this
tomorrow - I know rrix had planned on kicking off the process on
Tuesday at the next marketing meeting (I'll be driving somewhere in
Wyoming, although I hope to have arrived and be in my hotel by this
point, but I am perpetually not on time to my hotel when driving with
childrenz). Or we could do it Monday, but at that point, I'd almost
say we could just wait till Tuesday during our regularly scheduled
time.

I'm not sure that we've done a meeting around it at the beginning,
other than to say, let's send out email to a few lists and get some
people involved in helping round out the list on the wiki - usually,
IIRC, we've just had the meeting at the tail end to go through what
people have already populated.

Thoughts?

-Robyn

Thoughts?