Talking points/spotlight features

Ryan Rix ry at n.rix.si
Fri Jul 30 08:11:36 UTC 2010

On Fri 30 July 2010 10:20:15 Nicu Buculei wrote:
> On 07/29/2010 06:58 PM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FeatureList
> >
> > Off the top of my head, I see some very compelling stuff to which we
> > might call people's attention:
> >
> > * systemd
> > * EC2
> > * MeeGo
> > * Roll-up of programming tools (D, Eclipse Helios, GNUstep, debugging
> > tools)
>
> Can we have at least 1-2 talking points "end-users" (i.e. not developers
> and sysadmins) would actually care? You know, *desktop features*.

Hi Nicu,

The current feature list is indeed a little bit .. ahem... lacking on the end-
user front, you're right, honestly.

The creation of Fedora's marketing talking points is mostly an ad-hoc process
done by, well, anyone who is interested at all, marketing, or ambassadors, or
infra, or design or... :)

So, I guess the question then, what do *you* want to see that attracts "end-
users"? :) Granted, Fedora 14 won't ship Firefox 4 (your biggest
disappointment I'd guess, based on your blog post[1]), but there has to be
*something* that users will care about? Anything new in microblogging on the
GNOME end? What about in evolution or gnome-games or ...? (I'm just listing
off random ideas... I'm not a GNOME Desktop Edition user, and probably dont
have much to give to the "end-user" experience discussion outside of the KDE
Plasma Desktop Edition release.)

> Also, since it was delayed, should not we take GNOME 3 out of the
> features list?
I think that's more of a FESCo decision, correct? I'd assume that it'd be
taken out, and the fallback provisions (shipping GNOME 2, basically, with
GNOME 3 still labelled as "experimental") would be followed...

All the best,
Ryan

[1]: http://nicubunu.blogspot.com/2010/07/no-video-for-you.html

--