SEO / Homepage Keyword Optimization

nelson marques nmo.marques at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 14:58:21 UTC 2010

 Garland,

 Just as an idea, wouldn't it also be wise to check what are the top words
that are refering the users to our website and also abuse on keyword density
around those and not only around 'Linux'? I would recon that this would also
be effective. I would probably recommend to introduce 'distribution' and
'operative system' into the keyword density realm.

 Another thing that your document doesn't seem to cover is the number of
links available which is also a factor that determines the ranking of the
webpage in google (according to Steve Masters, UK google website
optimization consultant), and in this case we have 2580 links to Fedora
Project on the internet.

 This last part would actually be something we could ask our community to
improve, specially those who use blogger and to abuse the links for the
project. As the number of links to fedoraproject.org increases through the
internet, it will also increase our ranking on google.
 This is maybe a good thing to support also the keyword density efforts you
propose.

 Still related to this, have you or anyone associated fedoraproject.org on
Google webmasters platform? If so, could you please provide some screenshots
of the data gathered by google? Based on this we can actually get a more
objective perspective to work around  this.

 Two weeks ago I've attended a workship/seminary by Steve Masters regarding
Website SE Optimization (mainly google), I'm waiting for some documentation
to arrive (http://pt.linkedin.com/in/stevemastersporto), I will share it
with you once it pops on my mailbox off-list. This documentation is to be
shared freely through the students of my University, but I'm not sure if I
can distribute through the list, so, I'll send it on private. That ok? It
might help us at some point, though most has been covered already by your
work, except  a couple of things like the links.

 nelson.

2010/6/13 Garland Binns <gbinns at fedoraproject.org>

> Hi All,
>
> Now that F13 has been released, I'd like to rehash the subject of SEO on
> the homepage.
>
> As previously stated, the homepage is currently efficiently optimized for
> the term Fedora and Fedora Project, but no keywords beyond this. The keyword
> "Linux" is used on average* *55.6 Million in keyword searches globally on
> Google each month. We could increase our exposure by also optimizing the
> homepage for this term. One of the core changes I would recommend in order
> to take advantage of this is to add the word "Linux" to the Title tag of the
> homepage. Currently, it is "Fedora Project" - does any object to changing
> the title tag to "Fedora Project | Linux" in an effort to increase our page
> ranking and exposure to the larger Linux demographic?
>
> Here is more information on Keyword Optimization and why it is important:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Keyword_optimization
>
> Sincerely,
> Garland
> --
> Garland Binns: Fedora Project Contributor
> Email: gbinns at fedoraproject.org | GPG: 236ABB13
> Phone: (646) 867-2335 | Fax: (877) 329-3410
> Twitter: twitter.com/garlandbinns
> Wiki: fedoraproject.org/wiki/user:gbinns

nelson marques
nmo.marques at gmail.com