Microblog content

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 20:43:19 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 06:05:38PM +0100, nelson marques wrote:
>    Sorry but I don't see any harm in promoting amongst Fedora enthusiasts to
>    link to the project and why. It does sound reasonable to me. And if we can
>    tell them a couple of useful information on how it works... I see no harm
>    or any obscure reasons for not doing it.

There is a difference between spending our resources on growing a
culture of fanboys, and growing a culture of contributors.  We can
encourage people to show support for the Fedora Project without
expending a great deal of effort *pursuing* them to do that.

If a wiki page allows people with no intention of contributing to
create helpful page ranking for Fedora, I see no problem with creating
it.  I would definitely not want to spend a large amount of time
strategizing about how to do so when the return on investment is
simple page ranking.

There's a saying on my blog that is really meaningful to me.  I don't
always measure up to it, but I try to, and I hope Fedora does as well:
"Esse quam videri," which means "to be, rather than to seem to be."

What's most important to me as FPL is that Fedora have a wonderful,
growing community of contributors actually doing great things for free
software -- not just to *seem* like it is because we have a lot of
people talking about it.