SWOT - Comparative Analysis

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 09:05:35 UTC 2010

Nelson, it's great that you are doing this. At Sugar Labs I've been
carrying it around in my head for a year. I was recently persuaded
that this was not the best approach :-) that it was worth the risk to
publish our strategy including SWOT analysis. I'll be doing that soon.

The SL marketing strategy, targeted at teachers (with our limited
means - no advertising budget, so heavy emphasis on PR) is based upon
taking share from the market leader for desktops and netbooks, MS
Windows, by offering an alternative better suited for the education
sector, and particularly in a market (K-6) where the market leading
proprietary offer is weak. We feel that it is natural to compare
GNU/Linux distros in a competitive analysis, but that greater strides
can be achieved by trying to woo teachers from Windows to "other" - in
our case Sugar over GNU/Linux. We struggle against two major barriers
- the unfamiliarity barrier and the installation barrier, both of
which are daunting for nontechie teachers. Sugar on a Stick is our
approach to lowering these two barriers; "does not touch the hard
disk" is one of our central claims. "Boots most anything, runs under
Windows and OSX with virtualization" is another - we know that
classrooms often have old and mismatched hardware, and teachers little
or no say in education IT purchases. Our hope is that teachers will
first see that another way is possible, and from there overcome the
installation barrier.

All that said, if the core target for Fedora is potential
contributors, attacking Windows may not make sense - it may indeed be
preferable to spotlight Fedora compared to other distros.

Sean
Sugar Labs Marketing Coordinator