SWOT - Comparative Analysis

Jan Wildeboer jwildebo at redhat.com
Thu Jun 17 16:45:08 UTC 2010

I do have a problem with painting other community distributions as
competition. Yes, we all care about usage etc, but I would never (and have
never) called it competition.

Competition leads to market share discussions, which in case of freely
available community distributions is simply the wrong language to use.

IMHO distributions don't "compete" in the typical market sense. It is more a
way of differentiation, focus and target audience.

Once we compete, we will try to transport the notion of differentiation
which will not serve the goal of upstream focusing.

This is why I personally do not like the Novell OOo edition - it is
perceived as a fork, which hurts all.

I would prefer if we stop using the term competition.

Yes, I know this could become a flamewar. I just wanted to point out one of
the core differences between commercial marketing and community marketing.
Let's not mix them too much.

As always, I might be wrong.

Jan

  _____