SWOT - Spins

nelson marques nmo.marques at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 10:38:33 UTC 2010

wonderer,

 considering your concern about on how to evaluate it on a later stage, I've
been thinking a bit on it, and I've been also trading some ideas and
concepts with Robyn.
 I believe we will present something soon about this. A bit thinking on
this, I've made this page:

 http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing/Focus_group_SOP

 Through Focus Groups we can probably get some qualitative research done.
This is somehow easier to produce and evaluate. It is not defined yet on how
we can use it and I need to build at least 2 more documents (a script and a
sample set of questions), which will be most likely done having in mind
aspects that we need for the SWOT.

 From my previous talks with Robyn in the last days, I believe that it is
currently on a state that we can work out together (marketing team and
whoever wants to join efforts on this) and define how we are going to
evaluate the progress on a later stage.

 I believe that Ambassadors can play a major role on this, specially if they
are interested in running focus groups, this could actually have very
positive input and help us providing better marketing materials in the
future. I'm not sure if there is interest, or how we can do it, but
eventually I'll make sure I'll be attending one of the events from Fedora in
Europe and try to help whoever is interested in running Focus Groups by
running one myself as a test. If we have like 10 people on a focus group,
for example Ambassadors, then they can use the same methodology with other
ambassadors so we can spread the method around the best we can.

 There is also another nice alternative, we can actually run Focus Groups by
the internet, but there is a problem, the method is patented since 1999. I
understand the concerns about patents (not only software), and I would
expect heavy opposition, so I wont give it any relevance.

 I'm not sure on how we can evolve on this subject and help each other. I
think you can expect more news in the future around this from Robyn. For the
time being, I'm just trying to place as much information as I can, in a way
that people can continue the work on later stages.

 As you mentioned before, I am not much community oriented, so as long as I
can provide a nice method all can understand and the relevant information to
guide the community to the results and improve their knowledge in those
fields,  I believe that it's the best way I can help. Given the obstacles
that FOSS communities have beaten in the past, this should be cake I hope.

 I'll keep the list informed when something relevant happens as I am doing
now.

 nelson.

--
nelson marques