Zarafa: And how Linux can finally Conquer the world

Robert Scheck robert at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jun 24 19:20:03 UTC 2010

Hello,

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/opensource/?p=1633

I don't have an account at TechRepublic and I don't see the need to create
one just for sending in a reply with some corrections. Maybe somebody of
our Fedora people can add the link of this e-mail from our archives to that
TechRepublic article? This actually would be very nice. So here's, what I
have to say:

I'm very sorry to say that, but that article is unfortunately partially
wrong. There are tools for the user migration, because you a) can access
within Zarafa your system users from "/etc/passwd" when configuring the
unix plugin in "/etc/zarafa/server.cfg" and "/etc/zarafa/unix.cfg" or you
b) can use LDAP simply. The second thing is, that Zarafa as packaged in
Fedora does not support Outlook using the MAPI service provider, because
this extension is right now under a proprietary license. Zarafa is not a
tool for Fedora (as the article says), Zarafa is it's own software and
Fedora is shipping it as part of the Fedora package collection by the way.

So far, so good - that's all I've to add from my perspective of being the
maintainer of Zarafa in Fedora.

Greetings,
  Robert