Intro Post: Beth Lynn Eicher

David Nalley david at gnsa.us
Fri Jun 25 23:20:35 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 6:05 PM, Beth Lynn Eicher
<bethlynn at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Hello fellow marketers,
>
> Quaid's keynote at SCALE 2010 inspired me to get involved in the
> marketing and documentation of SELinux. Yup, it is 5 months later I am
> making good on my offer to help. I recently joined the Documentation
> Project too, read my intro post there
> http://www.spinics.net/lists/fedora-docs/msg12412.html
>
> My interest in marketing free software has been long standing. I
> am/was a part of the Linux Dairy Council which was an effort to call
> all Linux companies and communities to pull our marketing resources
> together for world domination. This effort is seems to be dormant
> though. http://groups.google.com/group/linux-dairy-council?pli=1
>
> For now, my primary Fedora Project marketing interests are SELinux.
> Who knows what's next?
>
> To kickoff the SELinux marketing discussion, I've put together this wiki
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing_SeLinux
>
> I welcome your comments.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Beth Lynn Eicher

Hi Beth Lynn:

I gave a lightning talk on 'Why I love SElinux" at LISA last year. I
was shocked that with so many .govs/.edus in the room, only two people
admitted running SElinux in production.

There are some really interesting things that I think are fascinating
from a SA's point of view. The first is setroubleshoot, and the second
is permissive domains. Ohhh lest I forget, Sandbox also looks awesome
but I haven't yet played with it.

Setroubleshoot
http://danwalsh.livejournal.com/20931.html
https://fedorahosted.org/setroubleshoot/

Permissive domains:
http://danwalsh.livejournal.com/24537.html

Sandbox:
http://danwalsh.livejournal.com/33090.html
http://danwalsh.livejournal.com/31146.html

Incidentally it looks like the setroubleshoot wiki at fedorahosted
could use some love.

The other important thing to note is that not only are the above
awesome, but they started their life in Fedora.

I think SElinux has a really compelling story to tell, and I think
Seth Vidal (at least I have been attributing it to him) said it best
some time ago (paraphrasing of course): turning off SElinux by default
reminds me of when firewalls were turned on by default in operating
systems; people said it was to complex to understand, made systems
unusable. Eventually everyone realized it was a good idea, and
everyone turns on firewalls by default.

There's also the fedora security planet
http://planet.fedoraproject.org/security

There was a post, I think by dwalsh, that talked about all be one or
two of the remotely exploitable security problems being mitigated by
SElinux. Sadly, I can't seem to find that article.