Spins on Talking Points

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 20:16:19 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 03, 2010 at 01:43:29PM +0100, Chitlesh GOORAH wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 12:55 AM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > Hi Marketing team,
> >
> > Chitlesh continues to feel very bereft of the ability to market the
> > FEL spin through our Talking Points page.  Originally the Talking
> > Points were conceived as a way of marketing features, innovations, and
> > changes in the Fedora Project to a general audience.  Although new
> > Spins arguably fit into that definition, changes to existing Spins
> > might not.
> >

> What you failed to understand that neither the following fall into the
> _general audience_.
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_12_Talking_Points#For_administrators
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_12_Talking_Points#For_developers
>
> Therefore, you have not given me proper reason why FEL's ONE paragraph
> should be deleted. Something, I spent time to write in order to fit
> the general audience target.

I've realized that the general audience of electronics engineers who
could make the dream of open hardware a reality is at least as large
as these groups.  Therefore, removing that paragraph was a mistake,
and I want to rectify it for future marketing cycles.

> > However, I'd rather *expand* that coverage than make contributors feel
> > we're trying to keep their work from reaching Ambassadors, which was
> > never our intent.  The expanded marketing potential of the spins.fp.o
> > site may not be enough to suit everyone.
> >
> > In our next meeting, could we add an item to agree that we'll include
> > a single 2-3 sentence bullet point in our Spins section in the talking
> > points, for any Spin that wants to add one?  I would like to add these
> > to the information we're already planning to include in the talking
> > points about new Spins.
>
> Dear Marketing Team,
>
> I would like to know why should this item be even brought into a
> discussion since it should be done by default (and for any spin).
> Fedora Spins are Fedora, and Work done behind those spins are to
> improve Fedora software portfolio and deserves to tell the world, this
> and that has been done, and this and that can be expected by the
> Fedora user.

The reason I brought this to the list was for two reasons: (1)
transparency now, and (2) the ability to document the decision for
later marketing people, so we don't make the mistake again.