FAD day 2 notes

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Mon Mar 15 05:16:18 UTC 2010

Highlights from day 2 of the FAD, including my favorite convo snip with
the Brand guys:
http://blog.melchua.com/2010/03/15/marketing-fad-day-2-brand-folks-visit-actionability-brainstorm/

Featuring such tidbits as...

# Jonathan Opp: “Speak not as a crowd of voices, but a chorus of voices.
Everyone is playing different parts, but everyone sounds great together…
in the same key.”
# Chris Grams: “[The brand book for Red Hat] was never designed to be an
enforcement tool, (it’s) meant to be an empowerment tool, to start a
conversation, to tell a story that would get people excited at being
able to extend this – not ‘what’s the set of rules for what I can and
can’t say.’”
# John Adams: “The tendency is to think of brand as soft and fluffy.
that’s a misperception… there is a very data-driven way to measure how
effective branding is… what do you want to be associated with?”
# Ben Williams (in response to Nelson Marquez’s comment that Fedora is
the son of Red Hat): “I would say Fedora is the father to RHEL.” Paul
Frields: “And the son has an incredibly lucrative job.”
# David Nalley: “From a user perspective, ‘innovation engine’ sounds a
lot like an euphenism for ‘beta.’”

Other attendees, both onsite and remote - write up your quick
reflections and post them at
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing_FAD_2010#Day_2:_Sunday !

--Mel