Marketing Trac - A little introduction!

Robyn Bergeron robyn.bergeron at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 04:29:20 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 8:18 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 12:28:33PM -0400, Mel Chua wrote:
>> <snip the best and most thorough introduction to Trac usage I've ever
>> seen - thank you, Robyn!>
>>
>> > Also - I think it would be a great idea to have a Trac SOP for
>> > marketing - how to get to the Marketing Trac, how we use it, the
>> > basics of looking at tickets, creating tickets, closing tickets, etc.
>> > Things like "who do i have to talk to to get additional categories
>> > created," documenting who the current administrators are, etc. would
>> > probably also be helpful for those new to Trac.  If anyone is feeling
>> > bold and would like to create their first ticket - this is a great
>> > opportunity.  Feel free to assign it to me - and drop a line in
>> > response to this email saying it's been created, and list the ticket
>> > number!
>>
>> I was about to do this, then realized it'd be a good thing for someone
>> else who hasn't used Trac yet to do - I'd be happy to walk folks through
>> this on IRC if they like (mchua on #fedora-mktg).
>>
>> Something else I've seen done to good effect - keeping meeting agenda
>> items in Trac (tag the ticket with the keyword 'meeting' and using that
>> for a queue). I've found that wiki pages are personally easier for me to
>> look at and update, but if we *really* want to push Trac usage we could
>> try that out as well.
>
> I use the Trac method for some meetings and it tends to work well.
> I've also seen the wiki method work well.  The only difference, I
> find, is that you can look at the Trac ticket more easily and see
> where action items or other updates move the ticket in and out of
> 'meeting' status over time.  It's nice being able to see that history
> in a single glance.  Just my $0.02.

Well - I think it would be interesting to try, if nothing else.  It
seems like a lot of info gets lost in meeting logs that could be
converted into more useful information if we had it in trac.

If anyone else is interested - would we maybe want to consider trying
this for a 3-month period, and assess at the end of that time how we
think it went? I'm thinking... starting first meeting of April, May,
June, and have a review at a mktg meeting in July where we can discuss
effectiveness in terms of (a) meeting organization and (b) if we're
able to keep track of tasks people are committing to in a better
fashion.

(Or any other measurements we can think of - I just don't want us all
to be sitting around in a meeting saying, "yeah, I -think- it worked
okay," etc.)

Thoughts?