PortugalFAD

Robyn Bergeron robyn.bergeron at gmail.com
Thu May 6 16:45:29 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 9:11 AM, Nelson Marques <07721 at ipam.pt> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Something came up the other day in the trans_PT lists and I'm pushing a
> FAD in Portugal forward.
>
> Some minor details are to be found here:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PtFAD
>
> Currently there is no date assigned because our national community is so
> small that we're trying to select a date where everyone can be present.
>
> Once we have the date we're going to place it also on the Event page and
> follow the normal guidelines for this.
>
> Our goals with this FAD is to provide a self-assessment of the Project
> Fedora in Portugal and it's contributors/user base.

I think this is a good idea; I'd just like to point out, from at least
my own personal experience, that it will be helpful for you to add
more specific deliverables to your agenda, rather than a general
"self-assessment."  Even if those deliverables look something like:

* Hour 1-2: Define the specific items we are going to assess
* Hours 3-6: Wiki each of these items with detail on where each of
these specific criteria currently fall on a success scale

etc.  Whatever seems logical.  It's too easy to spend an entire day
thinking about a giant document of self-assessment and then not
getting anything accomplished.  If you break it up into individual
pieces - and by time - I think you are more likely to produce results.

IMO - The most important thing here to think about is - what are you
going to do with the information you get from self-assessment? I would
recommend that you add some time into the schedule for the following:

* Where are you now (which is the self-assessment)
* Where do you want to be (and what are the criteria for success there)
* What are your steps and milestones to get from where you are now -
to where you want to be in the future
* How are you planning on checking / updating the status of your progress

> I'm going to call-in a press release, so there might be journalists
> present from national specialized and generic press to cover this event,
> including a TV team from SIC Radical (http://sicradical.sapo.pt/) which
> is very friendly towards this events and a channel directed to younger
> people.

How are you planning on using this press time exactly?