Status of PPC

Gerard Braad gbraad at fedoraproject.org
Sun May 9 23:56:36 UTC 2010

Hi Rahul,

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 1:38 AM, Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com> wrote:
> We have moved PPC to a secondary architecture in Fedora and made no
> formal announcement about it so far.

I do not want to upset anybody, but I recently had to edit the page
for the Secondary Architectures and asked one of the members of the
PPC team why they had two different groups for their effort; being
ppc32 and ppc64. I changed the page as they both referred to the same
project :-s. The team member responded: 'However, due to fact that
PowerPC is decaying, nobody cares'.

Somehow he is correct about this. Apple does not create any hardware
based on the PowerPC... even Sony dropped the alternative OS support
in their Playstation's... so, it will be hard to get a consumer device
that runs a PowerPC. Is it therefore a good idea to mention it? IMHO
it would be a belated announcement for a dying platform. :-(

kind regards,

Gerard - 吉拉德