Linux Action Show F14 Review

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 15:11:03 UTC 2010

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 07:04:28AM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 2:50 AM, Charles Kerr
>
> > It hasn't...  but, since I was listening anyway, here's my summary of their
> > constructive criticism:
>

> [Thanks for doing this.  I did listen to it but didn't have the time earlier
> to respond to the points made.  CC'ed the folks doing the show]
>

> >  * Even during a slow release cycle (as everyone's preparing for GNOME 3),
> >    it's still important to have something interesting to sell users on the
> >    release.  F14 had libjpeg-turbo, D, and openstep, but it didn't have
> >    a "hook."
> >

> Yeah.  We don't have many end user facing features this cycle but I agree
> the announcement could have highlighted more features that we have and cover
> the listed features in more details.  Not many people are aware of libjpeg
> stagnant state and it's impact (bugs, lacklustre performance etc) on all the
> consumers (image viewers, vnc etc)  for example.  I did that for the last
> three releases or so but didn't find time this cycle and I don't think we
> did a good job with the announcement this time.  The release notes does
> cover more details as well as the one page release notes but a good
> announcement is important anyway.

The feature list for this was somewhat lighter than previous releases,
but that seems inevitable when you consider that a significant number
of the brand-spanking-new-code features -- not all, but many -- come
from Red Hat engineers.  Those engineers were also (probably
understandably) carrying a heavy burden during this development period
with a little product called Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6. :-) Also,
since the GNOME 3 release was pushed back, a big slate of the upstream
features with desktop user appeal that go with it also were deferred.

This isn't to say that we want each Fedora release during the period
before a RHEL release to dip in the number of features.  At some
point, even a successful and profitable company like Red Hat does have
resource constraints too, though.  The nice thing about a feature
process equally open to the entire community is that Red Hat's
internal priorities aren't an exclusive limiter on the feature listing
for a given Fedora release.