[in the news] A Guide to Today's Top 10 Linux Distributions

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 02:40:24 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-09-02 at 17:57 -0400, Kara Schiltz wrote:
> PC World
> 9.2.10
>
> A Guide to Today's Top 10 Linux Distributions
> By Katherine Noyes
>
> [clip]
>

>     *2. Fedora*
>
> Fedora is the free version of Red Hat, whose RHEL (Red Hat Enterprise
> Linux
> <http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/192929/red_hat_focuses_new_rhel_55_on_multicore.html>)
> has been a commercial product since 2003. Because of that close
> connection, Fedora is particularly strong on enterprise features, and it
> often offers them before RHEL does.
>
> Fedora also offers a six-month release schedule, and its security
> features
> <http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/202452/why_linux_is_more_secure_than_windows.html>
> are excellent. While some have viewed it as a cutting-edge distro for
> the Linux "hobbyist," I think improvements over the years and widespread
> popularity have combined to make it a good choice for newer Linux users
> as well.
>

> Full article:
> http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/204767/a_guide_to_todays_top_10_linux_distributions.html?tk=hp_new

On #1 Ubuntu, they say:

..
" Founded by South African millionaire Mark Shuttleworth, Canonical--the
company behind Ubuntu--for many years shipped Ubuntu CDs to interested
users for free, thus speeding its market penetration."
..

/me wonders what we can do to speed market penetration (OTHER than ship
free CDs)

--
Thanks!
Regards,