Fedora Depot/Mart? (Re: Why is there no Fedora Project Store?)

Harish Pillay hpillay at redhat.com
Fri Apr 1 15:02:00 UTC 2011

* on the Fri, Apr 01, 2011 at 08:11:33PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram was commenting:
> On 04/01/2011 08:10 PM, Harish Pillay wrote:
> >> We already have an "app store". It's free in all senses of the word and its
> >> name is yum.
> > It is not about $0 or freedom.  It is about the non-techie user seeing
> > what they are seeing in the mobile devices with a marketplace/appstore.
> > They don't see the equivalent of yum.
> >
> > My suggestion is to brand the Add/Remove Software menu item to something
> > the models the meme that has gained traction.  It helps with the conversation
> > with those whom we are trying to encourage adopting Fedora.
> You might want to take a look at
>
> http://www.vuntz.net/journal/post/2011/01/18/Cross-distribution-meeting-on-application-installer

Thanks for that link. What that link points to is not quite what
I have in mind - although it would dove-tail nicely into their
plans for a cross-platform installer.

Perhaps we should just start off first with a branding that
reflects the marketplace/appstore meme.  The common and
cross platform installer is really an independent effort.

Harish