Fedora Depot/Mart? (Re: Why is there no Fedora Project Store?)

Harish Pillay hpillay at redhat.com
Fri Apr 1 15:38:23 UTC 2011

* on the Fri, Apr 01, 2011 at 05:19:45PM +0200, Fabian A. Scherschel was commenting:
> On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 4:40 PM, Harish Pillay <hpillay at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > > We already have an "app store". It's free in all senses of the word and
> > its
> > > name is yum.
> >
> > It is not about $0 or freedom.  It is about the non-techie user seeing
> > what they are seeing in the mobile devices with a marketplace/appstore.
> > They don't see the equivalent of yum.
> >
> > My suggestion is to brand the Add/Remove Software menu item to something
> > the models the meme that has gained traction.  It helps with the
> > conversation
> > with those whom we are trying to encourage adopting Fedora.
> >

> In that case, may I suggest we help improving the PackageKit GUI?

Perhaps that's what is needed. The PackageKit GUI (convenient screenshots
here: http://www.packagekit.org/pk-screenshots.html) does not have the
same feel as a marketplace/appstore.  It does not speak to the non-techie
user.

Consider:

"Oh, you want an app that allows you to capture business card info?"
"Ok, go to System->Administration->Add/Remove Software"

conversation or would this:

"Oh, you want an app that allows you to capture business card info?"
"Ok, go to Fedora Mart and search for 'business card reader'"

be better?

> If you want an app store, just add DRM to it.

Considering that there still is 22 minutes till the end of April 1
where I am, I shall let that pass :-).

Harish