Fedora Depot/Mart? (Re: Why is there no Fedora Project Store?)

Harish Pillay hpillay at redhat.com
Sat Apr 2 16:35:44 UTC 2011

* on the Sat, Apr 02, 2011 at 06:16:02PM +0200, Fabian A. Scherschel was commenting:
> On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 4:03 PM, Harish Pillay <hpillay at redhat.com> wrote:
>

> > You are missing the point.  it is NOT about *selling* anything per se.
> > It is riding on an awareness that "this is how you add/remove apps"
> > in a form that clicks with what has been done elsewhere.
>
> So your idea is basically to mislabel our package manager because app stores
> are currently "cool"? You are aware of the fact that Apple & Co. only love
> this concept and push it because their stores include DRM and they make
> shitloads of cash, not because it is inherently a better name or easier to
> use or recognise, right?

It is not trying to be cool or to mislabel anything. It is to clarify
and encourage self-discovery for users who would otherwise be saying
that "oh, this is Linux. it is difficult."

I'm game to alias PackageKit to be something more obvious to the growing
group of users who have understood what a app store is.

You are reading more into the whole idea by pulling in DRM and payment
issues.  When users use a Fedora Mart and realize that all of the stuff
available is DRM-free and zero cost, I am sure they will appreciate
Fedora for what it really is.

The idea and suggestion is simple and clear. Please tell me what is
still unclear.

Harish