fedora-logo and fedora-themes discussions

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 13:13:10 UTC 2011

On 04/15/2011 04:26 PM, Aleksandra Bookwar wrote:
> Hello, everyone,
>
> I would like to invite you to these two particular discussions:
>
> 1) gnome-shell extension that adds a Fedora logo
>
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/design-team/2011-April/004233.html

Using the extension for a few days now and I am not convinced it should
be the default.  The panel is a black one with monochromatic icons and
the Fedora logo attracts a lot of attention and while I initially
thought it would serve the purpose of branding really well, it turns out
to be distracting for me considering the rather subdued design of the
shell which emphasises the use of colors for things that really do need
immediate attention like the battery getting drained or whatever.

https://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Design/Whiteboards/SymbolicIcons/

If we decide to go with this, I would suggest using the monochromatic
variant of the logo as well

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Logo/UsageGuidelines#Greyscale_Logo

> 2) customization of themes and colors in gnome 3 desktop in Fedora 15
>
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/desktop/2011-April/007130.html
>
> I think that these topics are important for promoting Fedora 15 to
> end-users and Fedora Marketing Team should be involved.

If GNOME Shell has no support for changing these without extensions, I
am not sure what marketing can say about that.    Can you clarify what
you are asking here?  It's important to understand the difference
between marketing in a traditional software environment and in a open
source project. In a traditional environment, marketing goes to
customers or end users, gathers data and provides input on what
engineering should focus on and a sub division responsible for branding
decides how products how should be branded however in a open source
project, marketing is usually focused on promoting what developers come
up with and while this isn't the ideal situation,  in a open community,
we can merely influence but not dictate.

Rahul