fedora-logo and fedora-themes discussions

Timur Kristóf timur at sch.bme.hu
Sat Apr 16 17:37:55 UTC 2011

Hello Robyn,

Wow! That felt like as if I was reading my own thoughts on the matter.

I need to clear up one thing though: despite what the Gnome team says,
Gnome 3 can be very well modified, even more so than Gnome 2. (The
central user experience, Gnome Shell, has a mechanism to load extensions
which are a lot more powerful than anything on Gnome 2.) No
misundersanding here, this is not a hack. Some extensions are even
provided from Gnome's upstream.

Fedora using Gnome 3 can still be branded as Fedora. What I did on the
design team's mailing list was a polite request to start a discussion
about how to do this best. I have made a simplistic approach to display
a logo there, and asked them to start discussing how to improve upon it.
Then I received some constructive criticism from some people, but
completely negative reactions (and total unwillingness to discuss this)
from the members of the Gnome team.

I completely agree with Robyn, I think that marketing is very important
for Fedora if we want it to spread and be used by many people. And
branding a product is a very important part of such marketing. And a
logo is always the central piece of branding for any product, just like
Robyn said.
So, I have made one approach to displaying the logo on Fedora 15. I have
made it available as an installable package.

I'm looking forward to a civilised discussion about how we can improve
upon that and give the final release a branding so that people can see
and feel that they are still using the Fedora they love. :)

Cheers,
Timur